Thursday 16 July 2015

Author Profile – Muriel Garcia

Hello and welcome!
I am so happy you could join us today.

G.H – How are you today?
I’m really good, thank you!

G.H - When did you first start writing?
I first started about ten years ago. I was writing short stories, well starting them, I never managed to finish one and lost interest in them very quickly. Last year, a friend of mine challenged me to write a book and publish it, little did I know I would end up loving it so much that I’d want to keep writing.

G.H - Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
No, I wanted to work in the movie industry, mainly in the video editing.

G.H - Are you a full-time or part-time writer?  How does that affect your writing?
I’m a full time writer at the moment.

G.H - How did you become involved with the subject or theme of your book?
I don’t know any biker, but their lifestyle fascinated me. I’m probably way off on some aspects, but it’s been very interesting to do some researches. I know I’ve been told that the first one isn’t MC oriented enough, but as the series go, it’s becoming more and more MC based, while still keeping the romance with the same importance.

G.H - Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre?  If you write more than one, how do you balance them?
So far, I’m only writing romantic suspense, which I hadn’t planned when I first started, but I’m branching into other genres. It’s a nice change of pace and process. Especially when you jump from something that happens in real life to a paranormal story.

G.H - Where does your inspiration for these stories come from?
Mainly my crazy imagination, but of course daily life influence, what you read and hear about on tv or in movies.

G.H - What was your favourite chapter to write and why?
From my first novel, it was the parts in the bad guy’s pov, it was very fun to make him as sick and twisted as possible.

G.H - Where is your favourite place to write?
I write mostly in my room, but I can pretty much write wherever. I’ve had ideas for books in the most random places. I wrote part of my new book in the waiting room of the ER, some bits in an airport or on the train. Anywhere when inspiration strikes.

G.H - Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? i.e. You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I listen to music, the sadder, the better. I can’t write listening to happy songs. I usually get comfy in bed or my chair, depending on the time of the day, pop in my earphones and write my fingers off.

G.H - Do you use a computer/laptop for your first draft or are you a pen and paper writer? 
I map out the story on paper first, write some dialogue ideas that could work out for some chapters and then I start typing on my laptop or iphone/ipad if I’m away from home. I often go back and forth between laptop and paper as I progress in the story. Some bits need to be moved or deleted or inspiration strikes for a certain chapter and I’ll write it down before continuing with what I’m writing.

G.H - How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
Place names I used real cities because my best friend is from New Orleans and I wanted to dedicate it to her. For the names. I either use names I like (but then I’m tempted ot change them) or ask for suggestions and stick to them.

G.H - Did you learn anything from writing your book?  What was it?
English isn’t my first language, so some of the grammar and punctuation were a challenge. Sentence structure was too, but I’m getting better at it. I surprised myself that once I immerse myself into the world playing out in my book, all bets are off regarding what my crazy mind will come up with. Also, how exhausting yet amazingly satisfying it is to write and finish a book.

G.H - How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
It can range from two weeks to a couple of months. I planned the Last Hangman MC series early 2014 and released the first one in January 2015. It took me a lot less time for book 2 and 3.

G.H - Can you describe the feeling you had when you saw your published book for the first time?
It felt surreal. Never in a million year did I ever think I’d publish something and to see that it was and still is selling is mind-blowing!

G.H - Who are some of your favourite authors? 
Madeline Sheehan, Samantha Young, Jodi Ellen Malpas, Sarah Elizabeth, Kate Benson, Tracy McKay to name a few.

G.H - Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I have. I usually take a break do other things and forget about the book I’m writing or think about another story and the characters come rushing back! (I’m not crazy I swear!)

G.H - Time for a few crazy questions!
G.H - Do you write naked?
No, usually in a tank top and pj bottoms

G.H - What is your biggest failure?
The first draft of Saving Ayden. It wasn’t realistic at all and was ridden with loopholes and crazy things. I’m so grateful one of my beta readers told me it needed a lot of work.

G.H - What is the biggest lie you've ever told?
I’d have to kill you if I told you!

G.H - Have you ever been in trouble with the police?
No, never

G.H - Do you drink? Smoke? 
The occasional drink on vacation. Don’t smoke

G.H - What is your biggest fear?
Clowns and dolls. F*****g hate those things and death and closed spaces and spiders. Should I stop here?

G.H - What do you want your tombstone to say?
Peace out.

G.H - If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Read minds

G.H - What secret talents do you have?
I can cook? Not sure if it’s a talent but I love it.

G.H - What is something you want to accomplish before you die?
Be recognized for my work and hopefully sign with a good publishing company

G.H - Do you have any scars? What are they from?
Surgery and falling over. I’m a klutz

G.H - Do you dream? Do you have any recurring dreams/nightmares?
I do have a few recurring dreams. Nightmares, not so much, messed up dreams for sure. Where do you think I get those crazy ideas. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night at 3 or 5 am (always those two times) write down the idea for either a book or half a chapter for a book I dreamt/thought of in my sleep and fall back asleep instantly.

G.H – Back to normal questions!
G.H - What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t be afraid of making mistakes. That’ll make you grow and you’ll learn from those mistakes.

G.H - Would you share a deep dark secret about you with us?
I don’t really have any. Sorry I’m boring!

Thank you for letting us get to know you and your books. It was an absolute pleasure to have you with us!


Everyone, please remember any questions or suggestions please write them in the comments section below.

Thanks G :)

No comments:

Post a Comment