Thursday 13 August 2015

Author Profile - Rebecca Sherwin

Hello and welcome!
I am so happy you could join us today.

G.H – How are you today?
I'm great, thank you, how are you? Thank you so much for having me :-)

G.H - When did you first start writing?
I've been writing since I was a kid. My favourite exercise in school was in English class when the teacher asked us to make up stories about our weekends.

G.H - Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I've always wanted to write, so being a writer is natural to me. I also wanted to be a journalist, a doctor and a lawyer...I think I wanted to be a mermaid once too!

G.H - Are you a full-time or part-time writer?  How does that affect your writing?
I guess I'm a full-time writer. I write something, whether it be 50 words or 5000, every day.

G.H - How did you become involved with the subject or theme of your book?
Second Chance Hero is based on the town I like to call my second home; a beautiful fishing town in Cornwall, England.
The Twisted series came to me like a lightbulb moment, with influences from my memories of staying up late with my dad and watching UFC. The theme - one of hope, love and redemption with psychological and suspenseful twists is something I want to explore as a writer...my style, I guess.

G.H - Where does your inspiration for these stories come from?
My inspiration can literally come from nowhere...or somewhere I don't immediately recognise as a source. There are always elements of myself and of the people and places around me...as for the themes and events, I often don't know how they came to me or where they came from. I usually come up with ideas - the kind I have to write down straight away - (in the shower, mostly!) and have no idea what gave me the idea in the first place.

G.H - What was your favourite chapter to write and why?
My favourite chapter? Oh wow! Tough question. Probably the epilogue in Thrive (Twisted #3). It's the chapter where I tied everything together, tell the reader where everyone is in their lives and give you a little bit of what's to come when the series continues this summer.

G.H - Where is your favourite place to write?
Weirdly, I can only write seriously in one place. I can plot and plan anywhere, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty and penning some serious content, it has to be in my favourite coffee shop, near where I live. I sit in the same seat by the window and could stay there all day, letting the coffee go cold while I scribble.

G.H - Do you use a computer/laptop for your first draft or are you a pen and paper writer? 
I'm a pen and paper writer. The entire story is written on paper first, in A5 notebooks and I type it all up on the laptop between writing. I find it helps me edit as I go, too!

G.H - How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
About a month! That's just the writing. It takes about 12 weeks from idea to publishing.

G.H - Can you describe the feeling you had when you saw your published book for the first time?
I was terrified. I sat and looked at the 'publishing...' box on my screen and panicked. I drank some wine, I turned to my tribe for support and I waiting with baited breath. I was at work when it went live and had to excuse myself from my desk to squeal in both delight and fear. No words can describe the pride and sense of achievement...and it's the same with each book. The fear and sheer pride that I've written a book and put it out there for the world to see, is incredible.

G.H - Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Yes...and I'm suffering from it now. When it first happened, I was shocked. I tried to force myself to write and the result was a trilogy ; only one person has read the first book and that's how it's staying until I can rewrite the entire thing. Now I just relax; I do some plotting, make some notes and come up with ideas for new stories and I wait patiently for the mojo to find me again. It's usually the only time I can read too. I have so many projects on the go, constantly being worked on, and I can't read when I'm in the cave,

G.H - Time for a few crazy questions!
G.H - Do you write naked?
I've never tried it! I plot in the shower, so I should try writing naked, shouldn't I? *runs off to strip*

G.H - What is your biggest failure?
Finding myself jobless and being unable to support myself and my son. That has been a huge low point for me and one I'm determined not to let beat me.

G.H - Have you ever been in trouble with the police?
Yes, but not seriously...and that's all you're getting ;-)

G.H - Do you drink? Smoke? 
I'm a sucker for a glass of cold wine on a summer's afternoon and I'm partial to a cocktail or two (or five!)

G.H - What is your biggest fear?
Being stranded at sea. Being in a fire.

G.H - What do you want your tombstone to say?
She never gave up.

G.H - If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Teleportation. That, or mind reading. Or flying...hell, can I have the superpower that enables me to adopt whatever superpower I need at that moment?

G.H - What secret talents do you have?
I can touch my nose with my tongue. It's my party trick *laughs*

G.H - What is something you want to accomplish before you die?
I want to travel to every continent. I want to make someone happy - truly, blissfully, remember-it-forever happy.

G.H - Do you have any scars? What are they from?
I have one on my knee from sliding into the paddling pool and straight out the other side into a shed. I have one on my eyebrow from being thrown into a glass table.

G.H – Back to normal questions!
G.H - What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Never give up. Never let anyone tell you you can't do it.
Don't think, doubt doubt...just do.

G.H - Would you share a deep dark secret about you with us?
*shakes head* I'll put them in my stories.

Thank you for letting us get to know you and your books. It was an absolute pleasure to have you with us!


Everyone, please remember any questions or suggestions please write them in the comments section below.

Thanks G :)

No comments:

Post a Comment